Art and Design
Art and Design Lead: Miss T Knowles
'Every child is a artist.' - Pablo Picasso
At Holden Clough we encourage our children to be expressive and imaginative. The Art and Design curriculum, based around The Dimensions Curriculum, is taught through thematic units to help the children stretch their minds beyond the boundaries of printed text and fact. At Holden Clough Art and Design is used to help our children understand societies, cultures and histories as well as express their own thoughts and feelings via a range of alternative mediums.Throughout our school children are taught to develop their skills through; collage, textiles, photography, drawing, painting, 3D form and sculpture as well as mixed media. Though our art work, we learn to express ourselves confidently and creatively.
What the National Curriculum requires in Art and Design at KS1 and KS2
Key Stage 1
Pupils should be taught:
- To use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
- To use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- To develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- About the work of a range of artists, craft makers and desgners, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
Key Stage 2
Pupils should be taught to develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design.
Pupils should be taught:
- To create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- To improve the mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials (for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay)
- About great artists, architects and designers in history
The Dimensions Curriculum schemes of work are topic based and used from Year 1 - 6 to ensure a wide exposure to different techniques and artists. It is taught through a combination of subjects knowledge and skills and learning takes place both inside and outside the classroom.
An overview of topics for our Dimensions Curriculum and Art and Design coverage, skills ladders and knowledge builders are outlined below.
To find out more about the curriculum your school is following please contact the school office email@example.com