Maths in nursery.
By the end of nursery, children should be able to:
- Count out up to six objects from a larger group.
- Recognise the written numbers 1 to 5.
- Match numeral and quantity correctly.
- Compare two groups, saying when they have the same number.
- Begin to represent numbers using fingers, marks on paper or pictures.
- Use words such as bigger, smaller, longer, shorter, heavier and lighter to compare things.
- Make simple patterns and talk about them.
- Name shapes such as a circle, square, triangle and rectangle.
- Use words such as over, under and inside to describe where things are.
Other documents on this page:
- 'What to expect, when' - government guidance to children's development through nursery and reception.
- A booklet of suggested activities to encourage the development of maths at home.