Purpose of Homework
At Holden Clough, we believe homework has a variety of purposes:
· To practise, consolidate and demonstrate understanding of work already taught
· To practise, consolidate and demonstrate key skills
· To promote independent learning
· To foster organisational skills
· To involve parents in their children’s learning
· To provide opportunities to extend learning
Year 5 Homework Expectations
Below are the expectations when it comes to homework for Year 5 Children.:
· All children are expected to read with an adult for 10 minutes every night.
· Spellings should be practised ready for the test on Friday.
· Homework is occasionally set during the school holidays, as required.
· In Key Stage 2 the Maths homework will involve practising key mental maths skills and the English will be a substantive comprehension.
· The homework will be marked.
· Children who forget their homework on a Monday will be reminded to bring it the following day. If homework is not brought back to school by Tuesday, children will be expected to attend lunch time homework club.
- At the discretion of class teachers some children will be invited to attend a weekly homework club. This will be held after school and this will further support children with their learning.
Year 5 Homework Timetable
|Piece of Homework||When should it be done?|
|Spelling work||Every Monday|
|A piece of English and Maths (Set by class teacher every Tuesday)||Throughout the course of the week and returned to school by the following Monday after it is set.|
***In addition to this, it is imperative children continue to practise their timestables so they are fluent when it comes to the rapid recall of timetables. If parents or indeed children would like any further guidance when it comes to homework, please click the link below to access the school's homework policy.